- A variety of Philanthropic and Community projects are sponsored by the guild.
- Monthly Educational Presentations and Workshops by nationally known and local quilting teachers and authors provide updated and timely quilting information, and increase members’ knowledge of classic quilt making and history as well as the newest technical innovations in the art of quilting.
- The guild Vice Presidents present SKILL BUILDING SESSIONS for guild members.
- The guild presents a biennial Quilt Show or other fundraising event.
- Santa Monica Quilt Guild Quilters’ Retreat takes place annually at Viña de Lestonnac in Temecula.
- The Santa Monica Quilt Guild and The South Bay Quilt Guild joined forces to hold a QUILTING TREASURES ~ NEW TO YOU sale.
- Quilt Challenges and Round Robin projects are offered to members.
- Pot Luck suppers twice a year give members the opportunity for more camaraderie and exchange with other quilters.
- Quilters’ College presents a variety of “mini classes” to improve and expand members’ quilting skills.
- The Annual New Member Tea is always a delight.
- The guild Newsletter is published monthly to keep members informed of guild activities, and also present topics and information of general quilting interest.
- The guild maintains an extensive Library of new and classic quilt references. Selections are available to members to check out and use.
Special entry for Tiny Quilt Challenge through Sewing Arts Center Santa Monica, CA see Welcome page sidebar for link to shop.
(AMB) Fabrics and the
tiny QUILT challenge (I made the font very small for effect... No, I can't read it without my glasses on either...)
American Made Brand fabrics (AMB) is in the midst of their tiny QUILT challenge, and we thought we'd join in! The rules are simple, and I'll provide the link in just a few sentences.
Not only can you enter AMB's tiny QUILT challenge, but when you do, you can also enter it into Sewing Arts tiny QUILT challenge. And the cool part? The rules for Sewing Arts challenge are consistent with AMB's, and you have a chance to win twice! (Once with Sewing Arts, once with AMB.)
The quilt may not be any larger than 15" x 15"
The quilt must be made specifically for the challenge
The quilt must be YOUR original, non-published pattern
The quilt must be made with AMB solid fabrics
The quilt must be submitted to Sewing Arts by September 10, 2015.
You may enter as many quilts as you like.
That's it! Now, if you want more rules or need them, let us know... We'll be happy to bog down your creative quilting genius with LOTS MORE RULES...
At Sewing Arts, three prizes will be awarded to the top three quilts the Sewing Arts stafff feel represent the challenge best. Each of the top three quilts will be awarded a $100 Sewing Arts Gift card!
Need a head start? Drop on by Sewing Arts Center to pick up a packet of AMB solid 2" squares. The cost is a mere $5.00 per packet. And when you return the finished quilt for consideration, you'll receive a $10 Sewing Arts gift card!
And... if you'd like to enter the AMB challenge, here's the link to all the details you'll need: http://www.callforentriesamericanmadebrand.com/
February 4, 2015
Santa Monica Quilt Guild presented Quilters College
Our Quilters College is always fun, Quilters love to show and share.
Quilters College Faculty
Pam Overton: “Quick and Easy Binding Tool”
Philanthropy: “Place mats and receiving blankets”
Susanne Cole: “Traditional and English Paper Piecing”
Jennie Kraft: “Quilt as you go; a scrappy flannel quilt”
Maureen Gardner: “A Woven Valentine”
December 3, 2014
Holiday Potluck and speakers from CASA. See December Newsletter for more information on Philanthrophy and Quilts for orphans.
Photos from our July 2, 2014
Feast From the East - We ate , we played, we shared, we said goodbye to five members.
Dianne, Janet, Fern, Shirley and Janet. You will be missed. Thank you for your endless time and participation. Good luck to you all.
Photos from our New Member Tea June 8, 2014
Working on new Opportunity Quilt
Members showing some of the stars made.
Pam and Kennalee demonstrating paper piecing
All that work and it is done. Beautiful. Measuring 86x96”